Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Proceso de Aprendizaje

I arrived in Buenos Aires yesterday afternoon. The flight took off one hour into what turned out to be a monstrous snowstorm. But after a little de-icing, all system were go and I am now enjoying ninety degree weather.

I was able to practice my Spanish casually with the woman sitting next to me on my flight. Then I was forced to practice Spanish with my taxi driver at the airport. Generally, the people are very nice and patient with gringos like myself.

The purpose of this post is to explain some things I have already learned about the country in a very short amount of time.

1.) There are stray cats and dogs EVERYWHERE.



2.) There is a huge Israeli population in Buenos Aires. I went out to a concert with some people at my hostel and a band was playing Jewish music all night. It was pretty unexpected.



3.) Fake money is a real problem here. An American girl who went out with us apparently had a fake 100 peso note she thought she received from a bus driver. For this reason, people are very reluctant to take large bills, and when they do take them, they always check their authenticity. (A word of advice: do not do what she is doing, unless you want everyone to know you are a foreigner.)

No comments: