Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Change of Plans

A lot has happened since my last post. The first and most important update is that my work site has changed. I will still be living in La Plata, Argentina. But instead of working with mental health issues in El Bohio, I will be working for the Centro de Referencia de VIH/SIDA. The health clinic’s mission is to provide treatment, offer emotional support, and advocate for people affected by HIV and AIDS. After conducting my final interview with the site team in Argentina, we all came to the conclusion that this new organization will be a better fit for my interests. I'm very excited. It forces me to change my approach, but that's to be expected given the uncertain dynamics of the developing world. I will post more about my work site and project possibilities in the next few weeks.

Also, after lots of planning and a fair amount of stress, I now have an exit strategy. I've finally made plans to leave the wonderful college town of Ann Arbor once and for all. I've notified HR, handed in my letter of resignation, and announced my last day of work to be Feb 26. The next day I will get a ride to the airport, bid farewell to my amazing girlfriend (so amazing that she is already making plans to visit me in Argentina), and fly to my mom's house in New Jersey. I have one day to make final preparations and then I'm off. I fly directly to Buenos Aires Sunday night, March 1, and arrive 11:30 AM March 2. I've arranged to take a language course for two weeks in Buenos Aires before my program orientation begins on March 14. During this time, I will stay at a hostel for a few nights and then move in with a temporary host family.

I'm also happy to report some good news on my graduate school applications. So far I've been accepted to Masters Programs in International Health at Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Tulane, and University of Pittsburgh Schools of Public Health. I will probably wait until April to make a decision, but the fact that I'll be going somewhere gives me motivation to get the most out of this coming internship.

1 comment:

The Queen of Hearts said...

Find a computer in that second world country (with third world country leanings), and update your blog! : )